Thursday, September 16, 2010

Technology, cell phones

     For many people new technology has been a great help but for others it has been a big disadvantage especially when they allow this type of technology to take over their lives. On many occasions I have allowed my cell phone to take over my life because I can't I thought I couldn't be without it. Technology is great but, not when we depend on it such much that it interferes with our lives.

    On many occasion I saw myself depending so much on cells phone into the point that I was distracted from everything that, I was doing. My cell phone was my main focus especially when it came time to spend time with my children. I thought I was a super women because I could play with my children, cook dinner, drive them to school , watch television and help them with the homework all while I was sending emails or receiving a text or hatting with friends. I know I was wrong because one day, as I was searching through the channels a particular segment on 20/20 caught my eye as it was about people who can't seen to live their daily lives without being on a cell phone. I was in interested and shocked at the same time as I never thought that I was one of those people doing exactly the same things. In one particular part they show a father whose playing with his children and when his phone rang right away the children became unhappy because they knew that their father was not going to pay attention to them anymore. For me that was my turning point, to not allow this type of technology to take control of my life or my dealings with my children..

    Since I watched that program,I have became more aware of when I allow technology to take over my family live. I believe phones are important and necessary ,but not to the point that people abuse them. In fact, my children seem to be quite happy since I've cut my phone time like one occasion when they noticed that my phone rang and they look up at to see if I was going to answer the call and when I didn't I could believe their happy expressions on their faces. The looks they gave me made me realize that I could control my use of my cell phone.

  Now days ,cell phones are becoming a risk for every one especially teenagers who are texting while they are driving. Many lives have been lost due this abuse of technology. Oprah Winfrey has become a great advocate to end texting and talking on your cell phone while driving to end all the unnecessary deaths caused by it. She has gotten many Hollywood stars to help her spread the message across American that local governments to pass tougher laws to deal with this problem. America public likes the idea so far..

   Cell phones are a necessary in case of in emergency. One day, I was coming from New Jersey and for some reason my car stalled out in the middle of the road however I didn't own a cell phone at that time. Now days,a case of any emergency I own a cell phone which I see the importance of having one phone.

   I recommend to everybody to have a cell phone because when it come times for any emergency you are prepared. However I advise you not to let the phone take over your life or use it in an on safe way.

No comments:

Post a Comment